Am I covered by Indemnity?
Need to check you're covered by the RCN indemnity scheme?
Are you (or will you be) working under a contract of employment?
Please read section 2 of the indemnity terms and conditions for background if you need it.
If you're not sure whether you're an employee, you should ask for a copy of your contract and seek clarification from your manager without delay.
If you're sure, select Yes or No below:
Are you (or will you be) in the right category of RCN membership?
This FAQ may help answer any questions you have about your membership. It will also tell you the best ways to get in touch if you need to update anything.
There are three main categories of RCN membership:
- Nurse (full or first year discount; for nurses and midwives)
- Health Practitioner (full or first year discount; for health care assistants, assistant practitioners, Nursing Associates and other support workers)
- Student (for student nurses, student midwives and nursing degree apprentices)
Within each category, there are sub-categories.
The following sub-categories do not include RCN indemnity cover as a benefit:
- Voluntary break
- Joint educational membership (between the RCN and the RCM/UCU/EIS; please check your eligibility for indemnity cover with them).
If you’re unsure, you can check your membership at MyRCN.
Are you (or will you be) an agency or bank worker?
Are you self-employed or running your own business?
Are you (or will you be) undertaking voluntary work?
Are you undertaking a student placement?
This includes both:
- members in the Student category of membership undertaking work placements, and
- full members undertaking postgraduate study (through an educational institution) to gain a qualification in health care or a NMC approved Return to Practice course.